Friday, March 6, 2009

Lollipops For Sale.... it must be Friday!

We sell lollipops every Friday after school, it's one of our most successful fund raisers.

Our Assistant Principal advertises the sale on the morning video announcements along with the Pledge of Allegiance and other important news. Mr. P doesn't just say "hey, we're selling lollipops..." he really talks them up by making up flavors for us to sell. One day it was Mac and Cheese, another day Crunchy Taco. From good to bad... last week it was Stinky Sock flavor! This week's flavor was Fried Catfish. Of course we don't have any of these flavors, so we just say "we're fresh out of Fried Catfish."

Our first customer this afternoon was Cade the Kindergartner. Cade is an adorable little boy with an even more adorable speech impediment. Cade is known for his colorful speech when he's not in a good mood (he will sometimes drop the F-bomb.) And when he's having a bad day he will exclaim "it's my wust day evah!"

I bring out the display box. Hidden in the box is one lollipop with a short stick. I tell Cade if he can pick the lollipop with the short stick on his first try then he will win the Prize Lollipop which is a defect/half lollipop. We couldn't really sell half a lollipop.

Cade is taking in the rules of the game as he looks over all the different colors of the shiny round globes of goodness. Then he repeats the rules back to me just to make sure he understands. "So I wull win dat wollypop?"

Then he makes his selection.... that little whipper-snapper picked the short stick on the first try!!! I couldn't believe it, I wanted to give him a dollar and take him to pick a lotto ticket for me. I handed him is prize lollipop. He was so excited, his little beaming face, grinning from ear to ear, giggling with delight, hopping around the office with a lollipop in each hand.

I asked him if the short stick lollipop was the one he wanted, he asked what flavor it was. "Strawberry Lemonade" I replied.

"No fank you. I wud wike the fyed catfish!"

2 comments:

THIS IS ME....ONLINE said...

Thought you might enjoy this. Yesterday, one of the AP's brought me a wrapped up ice cream cone treat. She saw a boy trying to take it back to class with him after his lunch break. When she told him that he couldn't do that, he said okay. I'll just put it in my locker and save it for later. (He's a 7th grader and he was serious. SCAREY!) She couldn't resist and told him that we would keep it in the office for him and that he could pick it up at the end of the day. Hence, I had a melted ice cream cone at my back desk all afternoon. I did put it in a cup and, no, he never showed up.

judith said...

LOL.... Congratulation in advance on your TAKS scores.... NOT!

What was funny about Cade was when he decided not to take the Strawberry Lemonade lollipop I put it back in the little hole he pulled it from. Then when he said he wanted the catfish, I pulled the Strawberry one back out of the whole and said that's the one you picked first! He was so amazed!!! I told Judi, someday when he's much older he'll be drinking some lemonade and say it tastes just like Fried Catfish!

Fun with kids!