Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Waiting...

The school district has canceled classes for the day because of bad weather. A child was dropped off and she and I are waiting for someone to return for her. After about 20 minutes waiting she looks up at me with a concerned look and says "who is coming to get me?" I tell her "Mr. P has called and your Uncle is coming." She kind of nods and goes back to peering out into the parking lot. To reassure her that everything will be okay I ask her, "where does your Uncle live?" She replies "Guatemala" and does that little nod thing again and peers out into the parking lot. I think "Oh, this could take a while."

3 comments:

Northern musings said...

I´m still laughing... oh dear, so what happened?

judith said...

The uncle dropped her off at the side of the building where kids are dropped off daily. Only problem today was there were no staff members there to greet her or to make sure she got into the building safely (school closed because of weather.) He drove away when she got out of the car. Our custodian was about to leave for the day, since they had canceled school. He was checking the doors to make sure they were all closed and locked and found her standing outside the door. Had he not found her, it could have turned out very badly. The temperature at that time was around 27 degrees. He brought her into the school and took her to the only teacher left in the building, who called me. I walked to the school to stay with her, her uncle was called and he came back to the school. I explained one of the tell tale ways to know there is no school in session.... empty parking lot!

OneCowgirl said...

too funny!!!!!!